Monitoring weight gain in children:
The normal birth weight of a baby is 2.5 to 4 kg. On an average a baby is born with around 3 kg weight.
Baby loses 7-10% of birth weight by 1st week and regains birth weight by 10 days.
Then with good health and nutrition, gains on an average 20-40 gm/day for 1st 3 months of life. 20 gm/day for next 3 months. Then 15 g/day in next 3 months then 12 g/day and so on.
- Doubles: 5 months
- Triples: 1 year
- Quadruples: 2 year
- 2-2.5 kg per year is gained there after till the child is an adolescent.
Here are few Formulas used to estimate weight for your child:Monitoring height in children
1. For 3mths to 12 mth= ( Age in months + 9 )/2
2. 1 yr to 6 yr= 2 X age in years +8
3. 7-12 years= ( 7 X Age in years -5) /2
Height is of a big concern in parents. Will my child grow tall enough? Why is my child lagging behind? These are common questions faced by a doctor.
- A baby at birth is around 50 cm in length.
- Height increases to 75 cm at 1 year
- Then up to 90 cm at 2 years.
- At 13 years a child attains the Triple the length at birth.
- A normal child gains 4-5cm/year till onset of adolescence
Formula for expected height in cm (2-12 years) = Age in years X 6 + 77
Estimated Final Height = (Ht of father in cm + height of mother in cm + 13 cm)/2 in Males
(Ht of father in cm + height of mother in cm - 13 cm)/2 in Females
Please feel free to ask any questions you have in mind.